Saludos

Those of you who know me well know that, by habit, I sort of just launch into a conversation. That is not the way it’s done here, and I’ve had to consciously adapt. I’m still adapting, and I hate to think of the number of people I’ve inadvertently offended.

When you enter a room already occupied by people, you must greet every one of them—even if they are involved in conversation with another person. Speaking from a sister missionary’s perspective, you shake hands with each man, asking some version of “How are you?” in Spanish. You embrace each woman, right cheek to right cheek, air kiss and ask how they are. Men often embrace each other.

If you are beginning a conversation with someone, you shake hands or air kiss, then ask how they are, exchange a few pleasantries, and only then are you ready to get down to business.

Actually, when you think about it, it’s a very nice custom. No one is discriminated against or left out because everyone is spoken to. My brother, Chris, will remember a painfully awkward cocktail party associated with our business we both attended in New York City. We didn’t know anyone and no one knew us. And it was in New York City--not particularly noted for its amiability. How much nicer it would have been if everyone had felt obligated to greet everyone else warmly and cheerfully. But then again, would it still have been a cocktail party in New York?

 

2 comments:

Shop Chic Boutique said...

I could see how it would be difficult to take the time to do that. You're used to getting a lot done in a little time. Way to adapt!

Richard and Cheryle Whitaker said...

Hermana, we miss that custom! It definately is not in Las Vegas either. We came back to a new ward because of boundry changes, we know very few people. It is getting better, but we do miss those kisses, and YOU.