Mourning with Those That Mourn

And it came to pass that [Alma] said unto them: Behold. . . now as ye are desirous to come into the fold of God, ad to be called his people, and are willing to bear one another's burdens, that they may be light;

Yea, and are willing to mourn with those that mourn; yea, and comfort those that stand in need of comfort, and to stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things and in all places that ye may be in, even until death, that ye may be redeemed of God, and be numbered with those of the first resurrection, that ye may have eternal life--

Now I say unto you, if this be the desire of your hearts, what have you against being baptized in the name of the Lord, as a witness before him that ye have entered into a covenant with him, that ye will serve him and keep his commandments, that he may pour out his Spirit more abundantly upon you?"


This is the question Alma, an ancient American prophet, asked of those who had come to the waters of Mormon to hear him teach the Gospel. Following Dan's death, many people witnessed that they had not only entered into this covenant in the waters of baptism, but continued to live it.

Two of those people were David and Debbie Evans. At the time, David was my home teacher and I had previously been Debbie's visiting teacher. David worked tirelessly with my mother and father as they made funeral arrangements. Following the funeral, David continued to be my home teacher, along with Brother Howard, faithfully visiting me every month and offering whatever assistance I needed, including one wet and cold day when they got my sprinkler system running. (Lee Whittle and his son have performed the duty as well.) Even today, I continue to get regular messages from David and Debbie--a sort of long-distance home teaching.

This past week, David and Debbie's oldest son, JD, lost a valiant fight with cancer and passed away. My thoughts and prayers have been with David, Debbie and JD for many months. That, and an occasional consoling (I hope) email have been all I have been able to do to return their ongoing kindnesses to me.

I have shared my testimony with them, and share it again. While I have never lost a son, and can't imagine how difficult that must be, I know that David and Debbie will see JD again as a resurrected man with a perfect body. Even now, JD is free from the pain and suffering that plagued him during his last days. He lives in peace, associating with friends and relatives who have passed on before him. He is imbued with the love of God, and loves his family more than he ever has. He has work to do, under the direction of the priesthood, and has all the resources he needs to do that work. The Evanses have lost so much; JD has gained so much.

David and Debbie, you now have the privilege of living, as I do, with one foot in mortality and one foot in the eternities. That unique perspective comes from the absolute knowledge that this life is but a moment, and that in a future day, you will embrace JD once again. I pray that the Holy Ghost will comfort you, and bear witness to you once again of the worth of JD's soul, which is great in the sight of the Lord. Christ was lifted up so that we too may be lifted up at the last day.

I bear this testimony in the name of Jesus Christ, my Savior. Amen.

 

No comments: