I got to go back to El Coca with the Curtises in October to find an apartment for the missionaries that had been sent there. (I guess they had heretofore been living at the chapel—like I said, a mission is camping out for two years.) Coca is in the Amazon, and it’s hot and humid. Have I mentioned that Elder Curtis is the Energizer Bunny in disguise? After walking here and there and back again throughout the town, shopping for everything necessary to furnish an apartment, I guess my body rebelled and took over. I sat down on a curb and thought I was going to faint. Elder Curtis ran and bought me some cold water, but I still couldn’t recover. I bailed out of the rest of the afternoon and returned to the hotel to lay down, rehydrate and cool off. Later, I asked him, “Did I really hear you look down at me on the curb and say, ‘Look, Hermana Curtis, I think we busted her.’?”
Because we were there for several days this time, we had a chance to put on our P-day clothes and walk down to the river that flows behind our hotel. We took pictures. I told the Curtises to tell their children that they were filmed with the “mighty Amazon” as the background. It’s not really true, but it looks like it. I’m including pictures of the hotel as well. It’s gorgeous, and WAY beyond something you would expect to see out in the Amazon jungle. All this for less than $100 a night.
No comments:
Post a Comment