Ecuador: The Garden Country

Two weekends ago, Elder Hulse, Elder Hirschi, the Wards and I went to the botanical garden in Parque Carolina, not too far from where we live. This is a photo essay of the flowers of Ecuador. If Liz Clawson took these pictures, they would be breathtaking. Since I'm the photographer, they're merely interesting. Enjoy.This tree has enormous flowers hanging from it. This shot is for perspective on the size of the flowers.
And here's the flowers.
Our intrepid Elders Hirschi and Hulse. Isn't this a great "light of the gospel" shot?
Ecuador is known for its orchids, which grow in the eastern part of the country. It's called the jungle, mostly because it's the Amazon. Go figure.
Easter lilies practically grow wild here, and year round.
These flowers are called fuschia. If any of you have ever tried to grow them, you're either frustrated or a great gardener. They are extremely difficult to keep alive because they require such consistent watering (which is why I'm in the "frustrated" category.)
This is a fuschia bush! These grow wild here too!
This is a perfectly white plant. Amazing!
These are hydrangeas. They were also huge.
Elders Hulse and Hirschi atop a fake waterfall.
I've never seen a tree like this. Sorry, my closeup shot failed.
And next to all this verdant landscape, they have a cactus garden. It is not unusual to see cacti growing right next to water-loving plants. I can't figure it out.

This is an impatien planted at the base of this tree. I've seen them grow as large as bushes. For those of you from Arizona, I've also seen a 12' tall lantana hedge! The only lantana I've ever seen never grow taller than about 9" off the ground.
This plant is called a "paragua." That's Spanish from "umbrella." Hmmmmm--wonder what it's used for?
This is the last picture I took. It's a car with newlyweds in it. Look closely at the trunk and you'll see a beautiful bouquet of flowers mounted to it. Flowers are everywhere in Quito!

 

No comments: